Week 1

 Summary

    Trevor Noah, who was born as half-black and half-white in South Africa during the apartheid tells the memories of his childhood. Since interracial relationship was illegal during the apartheid, his existence was considered illegal. 

"Where most children are proof of their parents' love, I was the proof of their criminality."


    He wasn't able to be with his mother in public places, because she was afraid of his lighter skin catching the police's eyes. Trevor was a living evidence of the crime scene. His mother always had to lie that his father was from "other country", and go through a tough time surrounded by a crowd pointing a finger at her. 


    Trevor and his family relied on religion a lot. Back at the times when the family found out the piece of Trevor's poop, they believed that there was a demon trying to bewitch the whole family. 


My Story

   Though I've never been in a segregation before, but I once have been a victim of racial stereotypes. Once I've been to Europe for summer vacation. There were at least 217 strangers(*exaggerated) came up to me, and said something in their weird Chinese. This was exasperating. 

Being Asian does not mean being a Chinese.   


I guess there are specially constructed machine in their brains that exiles this clear, beautiful sentence out of their brain. Even though it has been a few decades since apartheid died, old, unchangeable perceptions are still breathing. 



Comments

  1. YEAA I also feel uncomfortable when people confuse Chinese and Koreans and just decide they're Chinese ≡(▔﹏▔)≡

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Week 7